Since the merger of Posten AB and Post Danmark A/S in 2009, the market and the conditions affecting the business have altered dramatically. Starting from a clear strategy, PostNord has been established as a competitive logistics player with a strong focus on the growing e-commerce sector. At the same time, considerably lower mail volumes have necessitated radical restructuring of the organization to ensure that a good postal service in Sweden and Denmark is maintained. In parallel, initiatives within the Group are under way to develop the communications business, partly through development of digital services and channels and partly via different combinations of physical digital communication. The Group’s strategy is underpinned by ten priorities.
- Leader within e-commerce
- Innovative digital services and channels
- Leading in sustainability
- Winning the hearts and minds of customers, consumers and employees
- Harmonized product portfolio
- Growth in prioritized logistics segments
- Competitive cost level
- Stable and efficient IT operations
- Integrated and flexible production model
- Optimization of the physical mail business
Highlights during the year 2018
- New postal regulations. New postal regulations were introduced on January 1, 2018 replacing the requirement for overnight delivery of franked letters with a requirement for two-day delivery.
- New VAT administration. From March 1, 2018, PostNord is required by the Swedish Customs Agency to ensure that VAT is paid by the recipient on all direct imports from countries outside the EU customs union.
- PostNord Listens. We ran a nationwide roadshow in Sweden so that we could listen to what the general public had to say about us.
- Changes to the Board. At an extraordinary general meeting on August 14, 2018, Christian W Jansson was elected Chairman of the Board and Christian Frigast was elected Vice Chairman.
- State subsidies to Post Danmark. In June, Post Danmark A/S received SEK 1,533 million from the Danish state, following the EU Commission’s approval of the state aid.
- Contributions from owners. In December 2018 PostNord received a capital injection of SEK 667 million, of which SEK 400 million was from the Swedish state and SEK 267 million was from the Danish state, in accordance with the 2017 agreement between the Swedish and Danish states.
- New agreements with partners and partner outlets. Several important agreements were concluded during the year.
- Increased availability. Overall, the number of distribution points in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland increased by approximately 1,000.
- New 3D printing opportunities. In the 3D printing field, PostNord Strålfors launched a number of exciting solutions and entered into a partnership agreement with Sony Mobile.
- High quality in peak season. Black Friday and Christmas shopping make the final three months of the year PostNord’s most intensive period. Thanks to our thorough preparations, we were able to provide high quality deliveries throughout the season. We deployed our resources to maximum effect and supported our services with extra personnel.